Saturday, October 31, 2009

Popcorn, anyone?



Friday night Heritage had its annual Rain Festival, or in other words the "Christian Halloween festival." The theme this year was "At the Movies" and we were all supposed to dress up as anything having to do with the movies. The first thought that probably comes to your mind is probably to dress up as a movie character or movie star. I thought of that, too, but then I realized I really don't know anything about the movies. So what came to my mind? Concessions! Who doesn't want to buy a giant box of popcorn when they go to the movies? So what did I do in class on Friday? I had students help me color red stripes on a white poster board and created a giant popcorn box. Clearly, as you can see from the above picture, I really was a giant box of popcorn.



From left to right: Teresa as Timon from Lion King, me as the popcorn, Shanna as an m&m, Brent as Napolean, and Lisa Mayo as someone from "Singing in the Rain." These people are all wonderful, and I'm thankful to be friends with them!



This picture is of the high school girls who all dressed up as movie stars, or just fancy "Hollywood" ladies. They were all absolutely beautiful, and then there was me, the popcorn :-)

Following the rain festival, the 7-12th grade girls headed to the Girls Night Out (overnight lock-in basically). We went to one of the students' houses. This family owns the Rwenzori water company here in Kampala (one of the main bottled water companies), so the house was AMAZING! I have to say I was already exhausted from a long week at school, and wasn't all that excited about having to stay up all night with the girls, but it turned out to be so much fun! We just hung out, watched movies, and talked, and I really enjoyed it! I always really enjoy hanging out with the students when they are not in class. They're great kids, and they're tons of fun. If only they liked math....

We stayed up until about 4am, at which point we attempted to sleep for a few hours, but because of several interruptions, only managed to sleep peacefully for roughly 2 hours. Now that I'm back at home, you'd think I'd be sleeping, but I discovered that sleep would be nearly impossible since there is a man on our roof pounding away, trying to fix a leak. So I'll do laundry, update photos, and write this blog in hopes that he'll soon be done and I'll be able to enjoy some peace and quiet.

If you'd like to see more pictures from last night, they should be available in the link at the top right side of this page. Enjoy :)

1 comment:

Brittany said...

You're so creative!!!!!