Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week in review

I don't have much time, or desire, to write at the moment, but it's been awhile, so I thought I'd post a few recent happenings:

- I've been sick on and off for seven days now. Headaches, sore throat, nausea--fun stuff :) I went to the doctor yesterday and after 2.5 hours of waiting and getting lab tests done and waiting some more, they told me they think I have a bacterial infection and gave me medicine (that's free in America, but quite costly here). We'll see if it makes a difference. So far I haven't missed school yet, but today I left class several times unexpectedly....

- Kristi and I went with our old neighbors to their church on Sunday. It was AMAZING! The worship was incredible and I loved every moment of it. The church was a large church, with probably a thousand people, and four services on Sundays. As my dad pointed out, it's interesting that I can say I've had amazing experiences at the tiniest of churches as well as the biggest. Good thing God is everywhere, in the church of 20 people, and the church of 2000.

- I've been running more often than before, and I really enjoy it. I found out the marathon/half marathon/10k races are on November 22, and I'd love to participate. I don't know if I'll be able to train enough for the half marathon in just 5.5 weeks, but I could definitely do the 10k (6.2 miles), if that really is an option.

-School has been uneventful lately, but still remains a bit of a struggle. I would say teaching each day is slightly better than when I started, and I know it will take time to fall in love with it. Keep praying. I'm still sure this is where I'm supposed to be, which is enough to keep me going on most days.

- We have two four day weeks in a row at school, which is a blessing. Last Friday was Uganda's Independence day. We just stayed around home, watched movies, graded papers, wrote lesson plans, and relaxed. This Friday is our "midsemester break" and a group of us are hoping to leave on Thursday afternoon to spend the weekend in Sipi Falls, a BEAUTIFUL place about 4-5 hours from here. We went there last year after our rural homestays....you choose a half day or whole day hike and hike way down in to the valley, under the waterfalls, and then back up again. It's pretty intense, but its breathtakingly beautiful! This is also the location where all 40 of the USP students had our church service at the highest point of the mountain overlooking all of the falls. It will be hard to top the experience I had there last year, but I'm excited to return!

- All in all, I continue to LOVE it here. I can honestly say I am completely content living in Uganda. I enjoy this culture, and learning more about it. I enjoy the people here, and I'm thankful to be surrounded by the supportive WGM community of missionaries. I'm thankful to be at a Christian school where the staff is extremely understanding and helpful when it comes to teaching frustrations and needing advice on how to make a better classroom. I've been blessed with some great friends already, and overall my time here continues to be a wonderful experience (minus teaching, but I'm confident that, in time, will also grow into a wonderful experience). Thanks for all your prayers and support! I miss you!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hope you feel better!