Friday, November 13, 2009

"I used to hate math so much, my knees hurt!"

Teacher Appreciation Week took place this week, and what a week it was! To the left is a picture of me trying to hold all of the gifts I received from students. Some of the items included a scarf, real and fake flowers, necklaces, tons of candy, a fancy wallet, three jars of peanut butter, and even a solar powered mosquito zapper :-) One day several students asked to go get water during class. Instead of coming back with water, they came back with random flowers picked from around the school, held them out, and happily said, "Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!" Today was a party-filled day in the math classroom. One student had a birthday, so her mom brought in a delicious cake and candy and chips during math class. Then, the secondary students planned a party for all of the teachers. They brought in homemade cakes, cookies, popcorn, and all sorts of goodies! Every day there's been some sort of chocolate goodness, in the form of a cake, or cookies, or candy, and I think I've had more cake than I can handle for awhile. It was a week full of surprises and fun. For me, the week provided much more than these tangible gifts...


After what has been somewhat of a discouraging start to the school year, this week provided much needed encouragement. On Monday, one student handed me possibly the sweetest note I have ever received. It said the following: "In the short time I've known you, you've taught me two things. The first is that it's ok to be quiet, even when everyone else is loud. The second is that it's important to laugh, even when you're having a terrible day. You always laugh, and always act happy. I love your smile, and I wish I could laugh like you." She continued with some other comments, and finished by saying, "You know, I used to HATE math! I hated it so much, my knees would hurt! Now I love it. Thanks for teaching me."

Sure, they're loud and they don't always do what I tell them to do. They don't always turn in their homework. They don't always ask questions when they don't understand. They throw bottle caps across the room and draw on the desks. They eat my candy and are sometimes just completely out of control. But when they say things like that, and genuinely mean them, every annoyance and frustration just disappears. It's all worth it. My favorite teachers growing up were the ones who invested their time in my life, the ones who taught me more about life than about any subject matter, and the ones who genuinely cared for students, not just for teaching. If I can impact even one student in the way those teachers impacted me, it will be worth it.


To the left are the 7th and 8th grade girls, minus Ruby. I have been so blessed to be able to begin building relationships with all of the secondary students. We laugh together and share stories, and just enjoy building relationships.

One note from a student, one hug from another. One class of 10 students ALL earning an A on their most recent test. One "thank you for teaching," and one "I don't understand it. I can't even stand myself, but you, you are patient and kind and you put up with me!" makes it all worth it! Sure, that same student announced in front of the whole high school that I'm the most gullible teacher (in a good way) he's ever had, but still :-) I'm working at a great school, with great kids, and an amazing and supportive faculty, and I am being blessed with some AMAZING relationships. Yes, there are still challenges. Yes, some days I still dread teaching and wish I had chosen another profession. Yes, some days I wonder what on earth I'm doing here. But on those days, I can remind myself of weeks like this, and I can say with confidence that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

No comments: