Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Who I walked home with today:




This afternoon my walk home from school took longer than usual. By the time I thought to get my camera out, most of the cows had already turned the corner, but for a good five minutes of my walk home, I followed closely behind this crowd, silently laughing and thinking "Only in Africa...." I enjoy moments like those, as they remind me where I am.

This herd of cattle wasn't the only excitement of the afternoon walk, though. Soon after I passed the cows, I heard the familiar music of the ice cream man! Yes, even in Uganda, there is such a thing as the ice cream man. This one was a man on a boda with a giant cooler tied to the back of it. As is typical for ice cream men in America, this one drove around the streets playing loud music. Today's song was "happy Birthday," and as is typical, one note each time was ridiculously off key. It's never the same note, though, so you never know when it's coming. I didn't buy any ice cream, because I've heard it might be a little sketchy, but I did have a typical African conversation with the guy that consisted of the seemingly never-ending cycle of "How are you? Fine. How are you? Fine. How are you? Fine. How are you? Fine....."

I love living here :-)

No comments: