Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mukono, how I love and miss thee!


Saturday I traveled to Mukono to visit my host family, the Jembas. Walking down the steep hill to their house brought back so many memories, and they greeted me with such love and genuine care. It was wonderful to be back in their home again, even if it meant sitting in silence for a couple of hours in their sitting room....just like old times :) They were incredibly excited to see me, as I was to see them. I'm still amazed when I think back to the experiences I had here last year, an the incredible turn-around and answer to prayer midway through the semester. Godfrey, my host dad, was not around because he recently got a job in Kampala (wonderful news for the family). Matilda, the middle sister, was also not around due to work. The others in the picture are all family members I remember, and talked with yesterday, except for the boy in the upper right corner. I have no idea where he came from. I didn't see him in the house at all yesterday (or last year), and I didn't notice him until I looked back at the picture today. Who knows who he is, but he showed up for the family photo!

Aside from the ridiculously crazy journey back home, it was a wonderful experience, and I'm so thankful I was able to reunite with my family! Being back at the house reminded me of the simplicity I enjoyed while living there, and somewhat made me desire to live that lifestyle again, rather than being so modern and American as I am now. I still miss the simplicity of the semester I spent with them, and the complete daily dependence upon the Lord. I was reminded yesterday of those who don't have all that I do, who don't always have food to put on the table, and who don't have medicines available around the corner when they need them. Those needs are what cause them to pray daily, not routine prayers like I sometimes fall into the habit of doing, but prayers of genuine urgency and prayers of faith that God WILL provide. I pray I will live a life of faith and prayer as my host family modeled for me last year.

Sidenote: Yesterday was the opening game for Ohio State football, and while I LOVE living here in Uganda, it's going to be tough to miss the entire season. Staying updated on ESPN.com by watching little football helmets move across the screen every five minutes just wasn't quite the same :) GO BUCKEYES!!!

No comments: