Saturday, September 19, 2009

Week highlights

It's 11:45pm on Saturday night, and after a three day retreat, I'm exhausted. As is typical during any retreat, the number of hours designated for sleeping decreased significantly. Unfortunately, instead of being in bed, sound asleep right now as I should be, I'm sitting in the living room downstairs, listening to the guard's music outside, as a result of not being able to sleep at all! Such is life.

Since I can't seem to sleep, I figured I'd update the blog by sharing a list of highlights from the past week. It's been an eventful and incredible week.

- An unexpected hug coming at just the right moment
- An unexpected lunch invitation from an amazing woman on one of the worst days of school so far
- Retreat: it came at exactly the right time!
- Hearing students cheer/clap loudly when my name was called
- Growing relationships among friends (other counselors on retreat)
- Using the slip-n-slide, which consisted of rubbing soap all over myself and flying down a huge piece of plastic, as my excuse not to shower
- Listening to the 9th grade girls talk about the high schooler's "love circle" and knowing that they were ok with me listening
- Watching Lisa Fish and students use a water balloon launcher to launch live frogs hundreds of feet through the air
- Hanging out with awesome students, and getting to know them on a level outside of the classroom
- Hearing students sing worship songs--in school, they NEVER sing during chapel, but on retreat, they were loud, and amazing!
- Listening to the girls in my banda make prank calls, laughing with them, and remembering the days in college, not so long ago, that my friends were doing the same thing
- Finding Old El Paso salsa and applesauce in the grocery store--two very unusual finds here in Uganda!
- Eating roasted corn on the side of the road next to the broken down van (so the broken down van part was not such a highlight, but since it resulted in being able to eat roasted corn, it can make the list)
-Being reminded that God is not the God of America, or of Africa, but the God of the whole universe. He is everywhere, taking care of everything, here, back home, and all over the world.

What started off as a terrible couple of days turned in to an amazing week that produced some amazing memories. I can't say I'm looking forward to going back to school and teaching on Monday, but I can say retreat came at exactly the right time, and provided exactly what I needed at that moment in time!

No comments: