Monday, February 4, 2008


Well my second weekend at home with my family was pretty long and uneventful. We did a LOT of watching tv. The Spanish soap we watch every night of the week replays the weeks' episodes on Saturday, so we watched all five of them again. To me this seems like a complete waste of my time, but to them it is basically their life. Saturday morning they let me help with the laundry for about 15 minutes, but then they said, "Nabachwa, you look very tired. I think you should stop and take a break." And that was the end of my laundry experience. I did get to learn how to make "duddeys," though. Basically, they are fried balls of dough that we eat with tea. They made the dough and I fried them. They seemed very excited that I was helping them cook and after tea time everyone said "Ofumbye nnyo nnyabo" or "Thanks for cooking." That was the extent of my involvement for the weekend, though. For the rest of the day I sat in front of the television with them as we watched tv or as I listened to them talk to one another in Luganda. Sunday we went to church where a pastor from Michigan here on a mission trip did the preaching. Services here last 2-2.5 hours, and as my brother pointed out to me, "These pews are made for five people each but we squeeze in eight. They are far too small." So while the service is usually amazing, I am usually thinking about the next time we'll get to stand and sing or when it will be over and I can get up and move around. I just continue to love the worship here, though. Everyone is always so genuine! For example, chapel here is twice a week, but it is not required for students. If chapel at Olivet was not required, I would imagine the majority of the students would not usually show up, but here the auditorium is packed and overflowing with students every time there's a service! I haven't noticed much spirituality at home with my family other than prayer before and after meals, but at school it is definitely obvious that these people love the Lord!

Well, that was pretty much just a bunch of scattered thoughts. I will probably write an email soon when I get a chance, but I thought I'd share a few details of the weekend as I wait for pictures to upload. Slowly by slowly things are getting better with my family. Weekdays are usually pretty good, as I'm only there after 7PM, but weekends when I am with them for the entire two days seems to be more challenging. I still feel so much like a guest and I wish they would let me help more around the house and become part of the family. Maybe someday...anyway, that's enough for now. Hope all of you are well! More to come later....

1 comment:

Trish99 said...

Why do they watch soaps in Spanish? I'm surprised there's any African tv in Spanish. Do they know Spanish? Are there English subtitles? Is it Locura de Amor? That's the one I watched in Costa Rica...if it is, what's going on? :)