Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dinner time....


Here are some more recent pictures of the kids at my home. The girl in the middle is a neighbor girl who comes over nearly every day to play with Stuart. She is 4 years old.
















This is Daisy serving the family's dinner. The big yellow blog in the middle is matoke. It's actually really growing on me. It's tasteless, but with good sauce, it's pretty decent.

And finally, this is my dinner. The purple sauce is ground nut sauce, which I love. Mom and Dad- my brother taught me how to make it, and told me I should take ground nuts home so I can make it for you and you can see how we eat here. So you may get to try it when I come home! :-) It's actually one of my favorites. The plate of food is matoke and rice, the two foods we have at EVERY meal. Some nights we also add potatoes to the list. My plate may not look that full to you, but keep in mind last night when I took the picture I said, "Daisy, I don't need as much tonight. I'm very full already." I normally have at least twice as much food. They feed me well, that's for sure.

So there you have it. This is what we eat. G-nut sauce is common because it's fairly inexpensive and it is DELICIOUS! Some nights we have beef in a flavored sauce that I'm not a big fan of. The meat here is very fatty, but usually pretty tasty. Last week we also ate cow INTESTINE. My dad asked how I liked it and it was the first time since I've been here that I had to say, "I'm not really a big fan." It's always interesting going home on Friday nights because I see a big raw slab of meet sitting on the kitchen table. It sits there all day Saturday and through Sunday afternoon. It's covered in flies and ants, and finally Sunday afternoon they take it to the kitchen and cook it for Sunday's dinner. It's good though, and hasn't harmed me yet, so I don't complain. I'm actually quite content with the food I eat here, though I'm sure I will be pretty excited to go back to America and start eating what I'm used to again. I don't think I'll ever be tired of rice and beans though, in fact, that's probably what I'll eat most of the summer at summer school in some form or another! :-) That's all I've got for now. . . it's raining outside and we're all very thankful because our water tanks are low at home. We can shower tonight because of the rain! Praise the Lord! Ok, off to do homework! Have a wonderful day!

No comments: