Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas--NOT just another day!

As I sit in my living room this day after Christmas in shorts and a t-shirt, I'm reminded how different this Christmas was from all of the others. For twenty-one years I've gathered together with family, enjoyed the lights and decorations, enjoyed Christmas Eve services and Christmas productions, exchanged gifts, and simply enjoyed being in the presence of family and friends. This year, though, the lights and decorations were slim, and I was halfway across the world from the family I normally spent Christmas with. While I did spend a few minutes shivering on Christmas day when it was unusually cool (about 69 degrees) and raining, it wasn't the same as the cold and snow that usually accompanies Christmas day. Yes, this Christmas was different, but it certainly wasn't a disappointment.

Two nights before Christmas I enjoyed an amazing Christmas production with over 200 participants at the Watoto Church in Kampala. It was one of those "This doesn't feel like Africa" moments with all of the technology and the wonderful talent, and as I sat there dripping in sweat (the place was PACKED with people, and the balcony was exceptionally hot that evening), I couldn't help but expect to walk outside afterward and see the snow falling, and the temperatures dropping. Of course, that wasn't the case. It was hot and humid when I left. But the program was amazing, and I was thankful to have a program so similar to home.

Christmas Eve the WGM missionaries got together for a dinner and gift exchange. There were about 18 people in all, including the kids. Christmas morning the same group had a Christmas brunch. I must say, if I have to be halfway across the world from my family on Christmas, I'm certainly thankful that I can be here with such a loving, encouraging, Christ-like group of people! I was SO thankful not to be sitting at home alone on Christmas, and so thankful these wonderful people invited us to be a part of their Christmas! The friendships God has provided me since I came in August have been wonderful blessings in so many ways. I am thankful for every one of them!

Christmas was different this year. My Christmas tree is 8 inches tall. Churches here didn't really sing Christmas carols or talk about advent. My presents consisted of Betty Crocker chocolate frosting, a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese (two things not available here, so to receive them as gifts was pretty exciting!), and two beaded necklaces. Instead of spending Christmas with my family, I talked with them on the phone, thanks to the amazing technology of Skype! I was able to talk with both sets of grandparents, one sister, and my parents. Instead of helping Mom make the Christmas cookies (which usually mostly involved me eating the dough when she wasn't looking), I attempted to make my own cookies, and only somewhat succeeded (baking sure is different here). Yes, Christmas was different, but in its own way, it was wonderful.

What I discovered this Christmas is that when you remove the traditions, the family get-togethers, the lights and decorations, the presents, and the materialism of the Christmas season, you are left only with the most important part of Christmas: JESUS! Without all of the normal Christmas traditions, it would be simple to let Christmas pass by as just another day, but Christmas is certainly NOT just another day! Christmas is the day Christ came to earth to save us, and without that day, we would all be lost. I'm thankful for the friends who welcomed me in to their Christmas celebrations this year. I'm thankful for the friendships I've developed since being here. I'm thankful for the technology that allows me to talk with my family on Christmas. I'm thankful for amazing Christmas performances. Most of all, though, I'm thankful that our Savior came, and I'm thankful that Christmas was not just another day.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with friends and family, and enjoyed celebrating together. Take time to relax during this time off, because soon enough (far too soon, if you ask me) we'll all be back to work and begin the crazy schedules of a new year. Merry Christmas, friends!

No comments: