Sunday, August 2, 2009

Prayers for Traveling

Well, it's been a wonderfully encouraging weekend of prayer that started out with a special prayer at the Nazarene Missions International district convention, where the district superintendent, Ted Lee, and the Global NMI president, Daniel Ketchum, as well as a number of other people in attendance prayed for my upcoming journey. Then, this morning at church the pastor called me forward in both services for prayer, where several people surrounded me and encouraged me. There may still be many of uncertainties on this journey, like where I'm living, who I'm living with, and many others, but I know one thing for sure: I am being prayed for. And that is one thing that provides great confidence and encouragement!

As of now, all that's left to do is pack. And while some may think that's an easy task, it's not. We've been attempting to pack since Wednesday! Two suitcases, fifty pounds each, and one carry-on is the limit. Sounds like a lot, I know, but when you add school supplies and a year's worth of various medications, the weight adds up quickly. I really thought I was being pretty conservative in packing, only taking 7 skirts for a whole year, and three pairs of shoes, but things just aren't fitting. In trying to decide what I could leave behind, many have suggested the jar of Jiff peanut butter may not be absolutely essential. Peanut butter, however, is my absolute favorite food, and is not readily available there, and that means it's going! :) So tomorrow we begin once again the task of fitting everything in.

Specific prayer requests as of right now include traveling through London. I hope to visit the city since I have such a long layover, but conquering that task alone is somewhat overwhelming. I'm sure it will all work out, I will just have to be willing to ask questions if necessary. I have no idea what awaits me when I arrive in Uganda, but after 30 hours of traveling, and a 7 hour time change, I know I'll be exhausted. Please pray for safety throughout the traveling process.

I look forward to writing my next post from Uganda (or from London, depending on how much time I spend outside of the airport, and how bored I am sitting in the airport). Thanks for all of the prayers and support! I couldn't do it without you!

No comments: